14 Sources of Power for Project Managers
In talking about sources of power for Project Managers, we should note that powers can originate with traits exhibited by the individual or the organisation.
Power is often supported by other people’s perception of the leader. It is essential for project managers to be aware of their relationships with other people. Relationships Enable Project Managers to get things done on the project.
There are numerous forms of power at the disposal of project managers. Power and its use can be complex given its nature and the various factors at play in the project.
The various source of power available to Project Managers include:
- Positional: This is sometimes called formal, authoritative or legitimate power eg formal power granted to the organisation or team.
- Informational: (Control of gathering or distribution).
- Referent : (Respect or admiration others hold for the individual, creditably granted).
- Situational : E.g (Gained due to unique situation such as specific crisis.)
- Personal or charismatic.
- Expert: (e.g skill, information possessed, experience, training, education, certification e.t.c.)
- Reward-oriented: (e.g ability to give praise, monetary or other desired items.)
- Punitive or coercive: Ability to invoke discipline or negative consequences on others.)
- Pressure based: (eg limit freedom of choice of movement for the purpose of gaining compliance to desired actions.
- Guilt based: ( e.g imposition of obligation or sense of duty).
- persuasive: (e.g ability to provide arguments that lead people to a desired course of action).
- Avoiding: Refusing to participate in an activity. Top Project Managers are proactive and intentional when it comes to power. These Project Managers will work to acquire the power and authority they need within the boundaries of organisational policies, protocols and procedures rather than wait for it to be granted.
Now your take on this argument.
We would also like to hear what you feel about the topic we discussed today. Your feedback is very important to us. Feel free to drop your comments and recommendations. If you have a contrary opinion, you can drop that too.
You can also join our Facebook Page CRMNigeria for more updates. You can do that by clicking on the link or searching for our page on Facebook.
Click here to Download 5 E-Books that I have taken time to prepared for you.
These E-Books contains formulas that have helped many of my students to nail the PMP Exam. You can also make use of this E-Books. While you are using it if you have questions to ask me concerning the Formulas, feel free to shoot me a mail. I am committed to assisting you to nail your PMP exam. It’s a pledge. You can always count on me as a friend.
PS: For like seven years since I started blogging I have tried many platforms and tools. Some worked and some of them performed below expectation. Here are some of the tools that I will gladly recommend for you any day, any time.
PS: Click on the link below to sign up for my Online E-Course CRM Training. Make sure you confirm your subscription by clicking on the link sent to you. Thanks.
Adeniyi Salau (CCNA,CDMP, CEP, MOS, MCP, CSCU (Project 2016), Microsoft Certified Security and Networking Associate is a Google and Beingcert Certified Digital Marketer, Project Manager and SEO Expert of repute with about a decade of Blogging and online marketing experience. He is always ready to share his experience with others.