Here are the checklist for Windows Operating systems….
As culled from Webopedia, The operating systems (OS) is the most important program that runs on a computer. Every general-purpose computer must have an operating system to run other programs and applications. Computer operating systems perform basic tasks, such as recognizing input from the keyboard, sending output to the display screen, keeping track of files and directories on the storage drives, and controlling peripheral devices, such as printers.
Here are some of the the checklists that you need to make sure you are doing when you want to have a secured Operating systems.
- Regularly update the Operating systems and other applications.
- Install anti-virus software and scan the system regularly.
- Do not open any email from unknown senders.
- Perform an antivirus scan while downloading to your Operating system.
- Lock the Operating systems while not in use.
- Physically secure the system from unauthorized access.
- Enable firewall protection and configure all the computer settings for high security.
- Use strong passwords , at least eight characters long , containing both letters, numbers and special characters.
- Configure antivirus to check all mediums (CD ROMs, email, websites, downloaded files e.tc) for viruses.
- Delete the internet history files, logs and personal files.
- Make backups of important data and store them safely.
- A part of the checklists for Operating systems, you have to disable or limit the number of unnecessary accounts.
- Use encryption to enhance privacy.
- Keep up to date with hotfixes and service packs.
- You have to disable autorun for DVD /CD Rom.
- There is the need for you to secure the wireless network for your Operating systems.
- You also have to use Windows defender to help prevent spyware and other potentially unwanted software from being installed on the computer automatically.
- User Account control asks for permission before installing software or opening certain kinds of programs that could potentially harm your computer or make it vulnerable to security threats.
- Back up your files and settings regularly so that if you get a virus or have any kind of hardware failure , you can recover your files.
- Set Windows update to download and install the latest updates for the computer automatically.
- Windows firewall can help prevent hackers and malicious software such as viruses , from gaining access to your computer through the internet.
- Use Action centre to make sure the firewall is ON, antivirus software is up to date and the computer is set to install updates automatically.
- In securing your Operating systems, you have to securely erase the MAC OS X partition before installation.
- Set parental control for managed account and use password assistant to generate complex passwords.
- Securely configure Accounts preferences and date and time preferences.
- Install MAC OS X using mac OS Extended data formatting.
- Create an administrator account and a standard account for each administrator.
- Create keychains for specialized purposes.
- In managing your Operating systems, you have to securely configure security preferences for your device.
If you enjoy our article, sign up to get our next article in your inbox. You need to confirm your subscription by clicking on the link sent to your email. You can check the spam folder for it.
Add us to your mailing list to receive directly from us. Thanks.